Sunday 31 May 2009

My voice.....

A singer's voice is a very fragile thing. When I first started singing lessons when I was 15, I had no idea the amount of commitment and control it took to be a professional singer! It was also explained to me how much my voice would change over the years.

 From the time you are 18 to the time you are 30, you will find that a singer's voice will have changed dramatically both in tone and depth. Man or woman, its the same. Case in point, listen to old recordings from Elvis Presley when he was 21 to when he was 35 on his 68' Comeback Special, and you will see what I am talking about. 
 
When I started my career, my voice was slightly higher. I was closer to a tenor than I was  a baritone. Now I am much closer to a Bari/tenor....... 

So how do I  do 8 shows a week you ask? Well, there is a lot that goes into it. First thing is NO caffeine.... Second NO booze.......... Third lots and lots of water...... Lastly REST/SLEEP........ These are the rules I follow when I have to sing this much. The reasons are that both booze and caffeine dry out your voice. Your voice gets plenty dry just singing. So you don't want to do anything that will help it. The rest and or sleep is because you body heals while you are asleep. So the more rest you get, the better rested your voice is. Then everyday, warm up properly.......



Now even with all these precautions you can still lose your voice. It can be affected by allergies, a cold, a throat infection etc. Sometimes just singing over a long period of time can dry you out and make you horse. Constant phlegm can also push your voice to brink. So as you can see there is a lot that goes into this..........

Last week in performance, I was just getting tired and my voice gave out at the end of the show! These things happen. The only thing you can do is water, steam, and rest. 

So now you see how glamorous singing really is!!! LOL 

Check back soon!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. the no caffeine... + no iced drinks... reminded me of my highschool life. the shcool's choir team. what is life without coffee???? all the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou for writing a very interesting blog,giving us an insight into your 'world'.

    Look after that voice of yours-as its very precious.

    best wishes.

    ReplyDelete